Monday, March 17, 2014

Grays Anatomy

This weekend I needed to choose paint for the front rooms of the house. Here's the thing, paint is the cheapest thing you put in your house but has the greatest impact. A paint is a tricky little devil. How it looks on the can, is not how it looks on the wall, how it looks in the sun, is not how it looks in the shade!

I knew I wanted shades of calming gray, I have a very specific design sensibility that has a lot to do with choosing one base color and layering on top of that. Gray is my base. Gray paint I found, was also the hardest to work with!


These are all Benjamin Moore grays for the living room. Smoke on the wall reads like lavender, Horizon a soft gray read almost white with a bit of blue. Wickham was more a true gray and Revere Pewter, almost a mauve.

 In the dining room we tried Wickham, Revere Pewter and Gray Owl. Revere Pewter is just pink. There. I said it.

 Sidewalk, which is advertises as a "concrete" gray is purple!!



All the lovelies all in a row.

So after much debate, drying, re-coating, coming back in different lights - we decided on Horizon in the living room - we want to keep it as bright in there as possible and Wickham in the dining room.

Whew, 2 rooms complete....the good news about paint is that you can always paint over it. :)


xoxox,
Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment