Monday, July 14, 2014

Wise men say, Only fools rush in.

When I decided to blog about home remodeling I read a lot of blogs.
Some spoke of remodeling as if you are Oprah with and endless supply of means and assets. Others spoke of remodeling as if you are MacGyver and can DIY a bench with bubble gum and an recycled wooden Pallet. There is nothing wrong with either of these methods. Its just, well I'm no Oprah and DIY to me is a network I watch on television.

Then there is HGTV. I confess, I'm addicted.  They have amazing transformations and it only takes 5 weeks!! And your contractor has a keen design eye! Now, I had a career in television production, so deep down I know better. So when I decided to blog, I decided it would the truth of the matter. No sugar coating.
And today the truth is this:


My reno has slowed to a crawl. And I am over it. Now granted, part of it is my own fault (the window issue). But some of it is the nature of the beast. When you first start work with a contractor, you're the shiny new toy. And unless you are on HGTV or give the contractor a lot of work, as time progresses, he may get new shiny toys. And your project starts slowing down. 

There are ways to get around this. The most important one is when you hire your contractor, make him agree to a timeline. Make him stick to it by having penalties written in to the contract. The second one is to throughly plan out your renovations/additions. Work with a designer or get a project design app or software. Know as much as you can before you begin. Don't do it as you go and DON'T trust your contractor to make decisions on your behalf. 

I didn't do either of these things. I rushed fool hardly in because I was so excited to get started. I thought for sure we would be done by Summer. We started in March and he quoted me 3 months. We are in July and have a lot left to do. Not to mention the landscaping.

So today. I am the lady above. #BOO



No comments:

Post a Comment